(FOR POETRY CONTEST WINNERS, CLICK CONTEST TAB)
THE 2017 JESSIE BRYCE NILES CHAPBOOK CONTEST
Now accepting submission from Aug 1st through Oct. 31st, postmark
First Prize: $1,000 plus publication and 50 author’s copies.
Entry Fee: $30/chapbook (includes copy of winning chapbook)
Final Judge: Kathleen Bryce Niles-Overton
IF SUBMITTING ONLINE (Different Guidelines for online)
IF SUBMITTING BY MAIL, SEND TO: The Comstock Review Chapbook Contest, 4956 St. John Drive, Syracuse, NY 13215
New Guideline: The poet must not have already WON a previous chapbook contest in The Comstock Review.
1. Submissions must be unpublished as a collection, but individual poems may have been previously published in journals.
2. Will consider simultaneous submissions as long as the poet notifies us immediately upon acceptance elsewhere.
3. Submit 25-34 pages of poetry, single-spaced (1 page=38 lines maximum, including spacing between lines; poems may run longer than 1 page). Manuscripts either too short or too long will be disqualified.
4. Do not count title page, table of contents, acknowledgments, dedication, or bio in the page length.
5. Do not send illustrations, photos, or any other graphics attached to the poems.
6. Manuscripts should be paginated and secured with a binder clip; no staples or plastic covers.
7. Judging is done without any reference to the poet’s name. All entries are screened by the editors of The Comstock Review.
8. Include 2 cover pages: 1 with mss title, poet’s name, address, phone number, and e-mail address; second with mss title only.
Poet’s name should not appear on poems. List acknowledgments on a separate, removable page.
9. Include SASE for results only; mss will not be returned.
SEND TO: The Comstock Review Chapbook Contest, 4956 St. John Drive, Syracuse, NY 13215
Final Judge for 2017 is Kathleen Bryce Niles-Overton
Winner is notified by December.
Winning chapbooks are saddle-stitched, and available at $12.00 per copy.
For ordering details, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
IF SUBMITTING, SUBSCRIBING OR PURCHASING AN ISSUE OR CHAPBOOK ONLINE, USE THE BUTTON ABOVE AND FOLLOW ADDITIONAL GUIDELINES .
THE COMSTOCK REVIEW
MURIEL CRAFT BAILEY 2017 POETRY CONTEST
FINAL JUDGE: ELLEN BASS
First Prize: $1,000 (The Muriel Craft Bailey Memorial Award)
Second Prize: $250 Third Prize: $100
Honorable Mentions receive a one-year subscription.
Submission Period DEADLINE: JULY 15th (postmark) NO EXTENSION
(Contest now closed. Stay Tuned for contest results soon.)
FOR COMPLETE GUIDELINES, CLICK THE “POETRY CONTEST” TAB ABOVE
FOR MAIL SUBMISSIONS:
Send to: The Comstock Review Summer Contest, 4956 St. John Drive, Syracuse, NY 13215.
Fee is $5 per poem, no limit to poems.
Names and contact info should be on the backs of the poems
($25 plus $2.50 online fees for up to 5 poems):
No names or contact info on poems. This info MUST be in cover letter.
DON’T FORGET TO SUBSCRIBE, SO YOU DON’T MISS A THING! SUBSCRIBERS ARE WHAT KEEP US GOING! SUPPORT NOW. You can use Submittable for ease of subscription. Click “Submit” and do it there. Otherwise, send $20 for a one year subscription (2 issues) to:
THE COMSTOCK REVIEW
4956 St. John Drive,
Syracuse, NY 13215
WE HAVE A WINNER OF THE 2016 CHAPBOOK CONTEST!
It is Ted Kooser from Garland, NE for his chapbook, “At Home”
TO ORDER: online: Click SUBMIT button above. Or do it when you submit to us.
by mail: send a check for $12.00 to the address above.
Here are comments from the judge, Michael Sickler:
“On the first reading I felt my blood pressure settle. On the second reading
I began to notice the details of life’s small omens escape my heart.
On the third I remembered its secrets.”
No-one is more surprised than we, as this has been a completely blind judging.
See Chapbook page for Honorable Mentions and Finalists
Congratulations to everyone for exceptional work!