The Comstock Review presents the winners of the
2020 Muriel Craft Bailey Memorial Contest
Final Judge: Patricia Smith
FIRST PRIZE, $1,000: Sheila Smith McKoy, Their Children’s Children
SECOND PRIZE l($250) Frank Paino, Lot’s Wife
THIRD PRIZE ($100) karla k. morton, Ode to a Willow
POEMS OF HONORABLE MENTION *
Janine Certo, O Body of Bliss (First Honorable Mention) &
Ways to Heal a Country (Honorable Mention) (2 poems)
A.T. Hincapie, Song After Diagnosis (Honorable Mention)
Markham Johnson, Booker T. Washington High School Graduation,1972 –
Tulsa, Oklahoma (Honorable Mention)
Elizabeth Kerlikowske, Instructions I Came With, (Honorable Mention)
Mary B. Moore, Musk Thistle &
Saying the Glass Flower and the Sea (2 poems of Honorable Mention)
POEMS OF SPECIAL MERIT *
John Blair, Leverage & The Art of Poison, (2 poems)
Lili Flanders, Rock Creek Park
D.A. Gray, Our Own City
B. Fulton Jennes, Silver Demon
Markham Johnson, Florence Learns How to Fly
AKaiser, Dove Shells
Frederick-Douglass Knowles II, Conversion
Daniel Martin, Shiny
karla k. morton, Perigee
Linda Brandt Myers, Piece of White Paper
Khalisa Rae, Buzzwords and Banned Books
Sophia Rivkin, US Covid Deaths Near 100,000
Makayla Smith, Childhood (A List Poem)
* All poems entered are screened by the Comstock Review Editors
and become the poems of SPECIAL MERIT listed here.
The Final Judge selects the top 3 prize winners.
The Editors of Comstock Review, select the poems of HONORABLE MENTION.
Editors and Final Judge do not know the poets’ names until winners are selected.
All Honorable Mention poets receive a subscription to Comstock Review beginning in 2021.
All poems listed will be published in CR Vo. 34, #2.
First Prize: $1,000 (The Muriel Craft Bailey Memorial Award)
Second Prize: $250 Third Prize: $100
Honorable Mentions receive a one-year subscription.
Submission Period Opens April 1st annually. Deadline: July 15th (postmark)
FOR MAIL SUBMISSIONS:
Send to: The Comstock Review Summer Contest, 4956 St. John Drive, Syracuse, NY 13215.
Fee is $5 per poem, no limit to poems. SASE Optional
($25 plus $2.50 online fees for up to 5 poems):
No names or contact info on poems. This info MUST be in cover letter.
To submit online, press black “click here to SUBMIT ” button below.
YOU CAN ALSO SUBSCRIBE USING SUBMITTABLE.
CLICK “click here to SUBMIT” BELOW. YOU WILL SEE SUBSCRIBE.
GUIDELINES AND ENTRY FEES
Here’s how it works — Our editorial staff chooses approximately fifty to sixty finalists. The highest scoring finalists (25 or so) are considered Special Merit poems. Special Merit poems go to the judge. The judge determines the top three prize winners. The entire editorial staff then selects the Honorable Mentions from the remaining Special Merits.
1. Each poem on a separate 8.5 x 11 page, typed, IF SUBMITTED BY MAIL
2. Poems must be original, unpublished in ANY medium, print or electronic. We do not accept simultaneous submissions. The Comstock Review reserves the first refusal rights if there is any error in the poet’s records that results in simultaneous submission. Editors have the right to disqualify all poems submitted by a poet if there is any question of previous publication or notice of acceptance elsewhere by accident.
3. No poem must exceed 40 lines, beginning with the first line of text below the title. DO NOT count blank lines. Please also consider our 64-character line width when submitting.
4. Name and ALL contact information on the REVERSE side of EACH poem entered. If not, we have to disqualify any/or all poems lacking this information. Contact information submitted on the front of poems will disqualify entries. IF ONLINE SUBMISSION, CONTACT INFORMATION MUST BE IN THE COVER LETTER.
5. Send SASE for results only. No poems will be returned.
6. All Prize Winners, Honorable Mentions, and Special Merit Poems are considered accepted work, and will be published.
7. PLEASE NOTE: The entry fee is $5 for per poem sent by mail, no limit. Online it is $27.50 for up to 5 poems. If you are submitting only 1 or2 poems, you can save money by doing it by mail.