WINNERS OF THE 2018 Muriel Craft Bailey Poetry Contest Maggie Smith, Judge
Rebekah Denison Hewitt (Verona, WI) “Eve Speaks from Outside the Belly of the Fish”
Julia Paganelli Marin (Fayetteville, AR) “Instead, I Stood Stiller than the Herons in the Marsh”
Don Colburn (Portland, OR) “Bristlecone Pines”
Deborah Allbritain (San Diego, CA) “Frame”
Leslie Danel Batty (Alpharetta, GA) “Notes on spontaneous fermentation”
Partridge Boswell (Woodstock, VT) “In This Life”
Nancy Bryan (Fair Haven, NJ) “What Happens at the Equator”
Clare Chu (Los Angeles, CA) “The Broom”
Wes Civilz (Norwich, VT) “Magic Hour”
Rhonda Collis (Cobble Hill, BC, Canada) “beggar hand”
Bruce Ducker of Denver, CO “Zodiac”
Kim Harvey (Alameda, CA) “Silverfish”
Hope Jordan (Canterbury, NH) “Plagues We Have Known”
Kathryn Jordan (Berkeley, CA) “Without” and “Mother’s Day”
Judy Kaber (Belfast, ME) “glass”
Jonna Laster (Bellingham, WA) “Fe”
Chrissy Martin (Stillwater, OK) “What They Say About Pastor’s Kids”
C. Mikal Oness (Minnesota City, MN) “Horror Vacui” and “Domino”
Jan Presley (Carbondale, IL) “Three Sweet Leaves,” “Lordy,” and “Dog-Ruby”
Ran D. Russell (Golden, CO) “Lie Down and Embrace the Ascension”
Laura Esther Sciortino (Portland, OR) “Euphemism”
Diane Stone (Clinton, WA) “Learning Spanish”
Melinda Thomsen (Greenville, NC) “Third Cast of Degas’ Dancer
Looking at the Sole of her Right Foot”
Jeanne Wagner (Kensington, CA) “My Father’s Chair” and “Herbaria”
Laura Madeline Wiseman (Lincoln, NE) “Working on Worth”
THE COMSTOCK REVIEW
MURIEL CRAFT BAILEY 2019 POETRY CONTEST
FINAL JUDGE: DAVID KIRBY
First Prize: $1,000 (The Muriel Craft Bailey Memorial Award)
Second Prize: $250 Third Prize: $100
Honorable Mentions receive a one-year subscription.
Submission Period Opens April 1st annually. Deadline: July 15th (postmark)
FOR MAIL SUBMISSIONS:
Send to: The Comstock Review Summer Contest, 4956 St. John Drive, Syracuse, NY 13215.
Fee is $5 per poem, no limit to poems. SASE Optional
($25 plus $2.50 online fees for up to 5 poems):
No names or contact info on poems. This info MUST be in cover letter.
To submit online, press black “click here to SUBMIT ” button below.
YOU CAN ALSO SUBSCRIBE USING SUBMITTABLE.
CLICK “click here to SUBMIT” BELOW. YOU WILL SEE SUBSCRIBE.
GUIDELINES AND ENTRY FEES
Here’s how it works — Our editorial staff chooses approximately fifty to sixty finalists. The highest scoring finalists (25 or so) are considered Special Merit poems. Special Merit poems go to the judge. The judge determines the top three prize winners. The entire editorial staff then selects the Honorable Mentions from the remaining Special Merits.
1. Each poem on a separate 8.5 x 11 page, typed, IF SUBMITTED BY MAIL
2. Poems must be original, unpublished in ANY medium, print or electronic. We do not accept simultaneous submissions. The Comstock Review reserves the first refusal rights if there is any error in the poet’s records that results in simultaneous submission. Editors have the right to disqualify all poems submitted by a poet if there is any question of previous publication or notice of acceptance elsewhere by accident.
3. No poem must exceed 40 lines, beginning with the first line of text below the title. DO NOT count blank lines. Please also consider our 64-character line width when submitting.
4. Name and ALL contact information on the REVERSE side of EACH poem entered. If not, we have to disqualify any/or all poems lacking this information. Contact information submitted on the front of poems will disqualify entries. IF ONLINE SUBMISSION, CONTACT INFORMATION MUST BE IN THE COVER LETTER.
5. Send SASE for results only. No poems will be returned.
6. All Prize Winners, Honorable Mentions, and Special Merit Poems are considered accepted work, and will be published.
7. PLEASE NOTE: The entry fee is $5 for per poem sent by mail, no limit. Online it is $27.50 for up to 5 poems. If you are submitting only 1 or2 poems, you can save money by doing it by mail.