THE COMSTOCK REVIEW
MURIEL CRAFT BAILEY 2020 POETRY CONTEST
FINAL JUDGE: Patricia Smith
WINNERS IN THE 2020 COMSTOCK REVIEW POETRY CONTEST
Sheila Smith McKoy “Their Children’s Children” FIRST PRIZE
Frank Paino “Lot’s Wife” SECOND PRIZE
Karla Morton “Ode to a Willow” THIRD PRIZE
(HONORABLE MENTIONS TO BE SELECTED FROM THIS LIST OF FINALISTS. ALL WILL BE PUBLISHED IN OUR FALL/WINTER ISSUE)
John Blair “Leverage” & The “Art of Poison”
Janine Certo “O Body of Bliss”& “Ways to Heal a Country”
Lili Flanders “Rock Creek Park”
D.A. Gray “Our Own City”
David Hargreaves “Rule of Threes”
AT Hincapie “Song After Diagnosis”
Fulton Jennes “Silver Demon”
Markham Johnson “Booker T. Washington High School Graduation,1972 – Tulsa, Oklahoma” &“Florence Learns How to Fly”
A.Kaiser “Dove Shells”
Elizabeth Kerlikowske “Instructions I Came With”
Frederick-Douglass Knowles II “Conversion”
Daniel Martin “Shiny”
Mary B. Moore “Musk Thistle” & “Saying the Glass Flower and the Sea”
Karla Morton “Perigee”
Linda Brandt Myers “Piece of White Paper”
Khalisa Rae “Buzzwords and Banned Books”
Sophia Rivkin “US Covid Deaths Near 100,000”
Makayla Smith “Childhood (A List Poem)”
First Prize: $1,000 (The Muriel Craft Bailey Memorial Award)
Second Prize: $250 Third Prize: $100
Honorable Mentions receive a one-year subscription.
Submission Period Opens April 1st annually. Deadline: July 15th (postmark)
FOR MAIL SUBMISSIONS:
Send to: The Comstock Review Summer Contest, 4956 St. John Drive, Syracuse, NY 13215.
Fee is $5 per poem, no limit to poems. SASE Optional
($25 plus $2.50 online fees for up to 5 poems):
No names or contact info on poems. This info MUST be in cover letter.
To submit online, press black “click here to SUBMIT ” button below.
YOU CAN ALSO SUBSCRIBE USING SUBMITTABLE.
CLICK “click here to SUBMIT” BELOW. YOU WILL SEE SUBSCRIBE.
GUIDELINES AND ENTRY FEES
Here’s how it works — Our editorial staff chooses approximately fifty to sixty finalists. The highest scoring finalists (25 or so) are considered Special Merit poems. Special Merit poems go to the judge. The judge determines the top three prize winners. The entire editorial staff then selects the Honorable Mentions from the remaining Special Merits.
1. Each poem on a separate 8.5 x 11 page, typed, IF SUBMITTED BY MAIL
2. Poems must be original, unpublished in ANY medium, print or electronic. We do not accept simultaneous submissions. The Comstock Review reserves the first refusal rights if there is any error in the poet’s records that results in simultaneous submission. Editors have the right to disqualify all poems submitted by a poet if there is any question of previous publication or notice of acceptance elsewhere by accident.
3. No poem must exceed 40 lines, beginning with the first line of text below the title. DO NOT count blank lines. Please also consider our 64-character line width when submitting.
4. Name and ALL contact information on the REVERSE side of EACH poem entered. If not, we have to disqualify any/or all poems lacking this information. Contact information submitted on the front of poems will disqualify entries. IF ONLINE SUBMISSION, CONTACT INFORMATION MUST BE IN THE COVER LETTER.
5. Send SASE for results only. No poems will be returned.
6. All Prize Winners, Honorable Mentions, and Special Merit Poems are considered accepted work, and will be published.
7. PLEASE NOTE: The entry fee is $5 for per poem sent by mail, no limit. Online it is $27.50 for up to 5 poems. If you are submitting only 1 or2 poems, you can save money by doing it by mail.