THE COMSTOCK REVIEW
MURIEL CRAFT BAILEY 2018 POETRY CONTEST
FINAL JUDGE: MAGGIE SMITH
First Prize: $1,000 (The Muriel Craft Bailey Memorial Award)
Second Prize: $250 Third Prize: $100
Honorable Mentions receive a one-year subscription.
Submission Period Opens April 1st annually. Deadline: July 15th (postmark)
FOR MAIL SUBMISSIONS:
Send to: The Comstock Review Summer Contest, 4956 St. John Drive, Syracuse, NY 13215.
We really like this method.
Fee is $5 per poem, no limit to poems. SASE Optional
($25 plus $2.50 online fees for up to 5 poems):
No names or contact info on poems. This info MUST be in cover letter.
To submit online, press black “click here to SUBMIT ” button below.
YOU CAN ALSO SUBSCRIBE USING SUBMITTABLE.
CLICK “click here to SUBMIT” BELOW. YOU WILL SEE SUBSCRIBE.
GUIDELINES AND ENTRY FEES
Here’s how it works — Our editorial staff chooses approximately fifty to sixty finalists. The highest scoring finalists (25 or so) are considered Special Merit poems. Special Merit poems go to the judge. The judge determines the top three prize winners. The entire editorial staff then selects the Honorable Mentions from the remaining Special Merits.
1. Each poem on a separate 8.5 x 11 page, typed, IF SUBMITTED BY MAIL
2. Poems must be original, unpublished in ANY medium, print or electronic. We do not accept simultaneous submissions. The Comstock Review reserves the first refusal rights if there is any error in the poet’s records that results in simultaneous submission. Editors have the right to disqualify all poems submitted by a poet if there is any question of previous publication or notice of acceptance elsewhere by accident.
3. No poem must exceed 40 lines, beginning with the first line of text below the title. DO NOT count blank lines. Please also consider our 64-character line width when submitting.
4. Name and ALL contact information on the REVERSE side of EACH poem entered. If not, we have to disqualify any/or all poems lacking this information. Contact information submitted on the front of poems will disqualify entries. IF ONLINE SUBMISSION, CONTACT INFORMATION MUST BE IN THE COVER LETTER.
5. Send SASE for results only. No poems will be returned.
6. All Prize Winners, Honorable Mentions, and Special Merit Poems are considered accepted work, and will be published.
7. PLEASE NOTE: The entry fee is $5 for per poem sent by mail, no limit. Online it is $27.50 for up to 5 poems. If you are submitting only 1 or2 poems, you can save money by doing it by mail.
WINNERS OF THE 2017 MURIEL CRAFT BAILEY POETRY CONTEST
(Chosen by Final Judge, Ellen Bass)
Paola Bruni (Aptos, CA) Confections (MURIEL CRAFT BAILEY PRIZE)
Kim Harvey (Alameda, CA) Father (SECOND PRIZE)
Lauren Alleyne (Harrisburg, VA) Ode to Ghosts (THIRD PRIZE)
(Chosen by Comstock Review Editors)
Rolly Kent (Los Angeles, CA) The Sweetest Forgiveness ( FIRST HONORABLE MENTION)
Elizabeth Carothers Herron (Graton, CA) Old Friends (SECOND HONORABLE MENTION)
Cathie Sandstrom (Sierra Madre, CA) Letter From Arles (THIRD HONORABLE MENTION)
John Blair (San Marcos, TX) The Little Sleep
Erika Brumett (Seattle, WA) Revenants
Lynne Burnett (West Vancouver, BC, Canada) New House
Carol Catanzariti (Honolulu, HI) The Art Inside Us
Ronald Dzerigian (Fowler, CA) Not a Dream as Much as a Want for One
Ronald Dzerigian (Fowler, CA) Lunching on a Crossbeam
CM Follett (Sausalito, CA) Mistral
Red Hawk (Monticello, AK) The Valley Spirit
Matt Hohner (Baltimore, MD) Evidence
Rolly Kent (Los Angeles, CA) Steak or Potato
Zachary Lundgren (Greenville, NC) Python Hunters
karla morton (Fort Worth, TX) Late Christmas Day
Katherine Nazzaro (Newton, MA) Razor Wire Bracelets
Connie Post (Livermore, CA) Fault Lines
Connie Post (Livermore, CA) Looking for the Father’s Name
Jessamine Price (Chungnam-do, Republic of Korea) Vertigo at Wolf Gap
Don Schofield (Thessaloniki, Macedonia, Greece) Blue Alexandra
Jacqueline Derner Tchakalian (Woodland Hills, CA) The Hand That Thought It Was a Bird
Richard Thompson (Houston, TX) Phillip said